Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I'm back!...and Thanksgiving

I'm so excited to have finished my NaNo WriMo!  I came in at 50,003! 

So here's how it worked out:

I started off writing a historical inspirational fiction piece inspired partly by my grandmother's life.  I had high hopes for this novel, wrote an outline, spent time developing my hero and heroine and felt rather confident.  Then about 25,000 words into it, I knew that the story wouldn't work.  I can't exactly explain it, but I just knew this wasn't the story for me and the words completely stopped coming.  Then I remembered some words of wisdom, which were "If you were writing only for God, would this be the story you want to tell?"  Well, the answer was "no", even though I really wanted the story to work out.  So I stopped, prayed and started again.  Luckily, a story formed and I was able to complete my new NaNo WriMo in two weeks!  My next step is editing which is going to be a  huge process, but I'm looking forward to really digging my heels in and getting going.

So let's switch gears and talk about Thanksgiving.  This year, I'll be spending it with my father, his girlfriend and of course my husband and son.  Tomorrow is the big day and I'm a little nervous about baking the turkey.  I've done it a few years now, and it always comes out different.  Usually, it's done either way before or way after the fixings, but this year I bought instant stuffing, so at the very least, I can just add some water and the stuffing will be done whenever the turkey is ready.  (Hey, don't judge me on the instant stuffing :)  )

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'll go ahead and follow the tradition of mentioning things for which I am thankful.  I know it's a bit predictable, but I really am thankful for Jesus.  He saved us from darkness, carries our burdens, and loves us unconditionally.  Without him, there is no hope.  I'm also thankful for my husband, who is the most amazing man on the planet, and my son, who is Captain Awesome.  If I were to list more silly things for which I'm thankful, I'd say peanut butter fudge milkshakes and cheeseburgers.  Yup, I'm thankful for yummy food :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!


No comments:

Post a Comment