Sunday, May 12, 2013

What's so great about Paul?

The apostle Paul is a huge presence in the New Testament.  He also happens to be one of my favorite people in the Bible, besides Jesus of course.  Here's why:

Paul wasn't always an apostle.  He wasn't always a Christian.  In fact, Paul wasn't even named Paul at birth.  Originally, his hebrew names was Saul and he was a zealous opponent of Christianity.  He tried to destroy the church of Jesus.  However, on his way to Damascus he encountered Jesus.  Saul heard a voice saying "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?" and a bright light shined down on Saul and his companions.

Saul was blinded by the light for three days.  Jesus told a disciple named Ananis to go to Saul and when the disciple laid his hands on Saul, something like scales fell from his eyes and he could see again.  He converted to Christianity, was renamed Paul, and went all over preaching and spreading the Word.

You can read the story in Acts 22:6-16.

I know it's hard to believe.  I know that the idea that "something scale like" fell from his eyes seemed far fetched.  But this is Jesus we're talking about.  Walking on water, raising the dead....Jesus.  He can do anything.  And for Paul, he literally gave him sight.

The reason I like Paul's conversion story so much is that it gives hope.  It gives hope that no one is out of God's reach.  It gives hope that anyone, no matter how strongly they fight against God, can be softened and come to love Jesus.

I connect with Paul because I once didn't believe.  I once judged.  I once taunted.  Then Jesus softened my heart. 

He can do anything.  


No comments:

Post a Comment